You’ve got a brilliant idea for a mobile app. With an idea like yours, you can’t afford to trust just anyone to make it happen. How can you find a mobile app developer you can count on? How do you know they’ll work effectively with you, or if they genuinely know what they’re doing? And how do you know they’ll be committed to your success — not just focused on their own bottom line?
Finding a development partner you can trust can be a challenge. While there are some excellent rankings and directories available to help you in your search — e.g., Distillery has been privileged to be included in several recently, including the Digital Agency Network, UpCity, and Top Interactive Agencies — it can be difficult to gain an understanding of what these companies are really like to work with. In addition, you want to know:
- Do they deliver value well beyond what you could source from your internal workforce?
- Do their clients trust them enough to work with them year after year, project after project?
- Are they effective collaborators and advisors?
- Do they achieve true engineering excellence?
With all these questions swirling in our minds, we’ve prepared our very own list of the best mobile app developers in the US. The list is based on what we’ve heard from clients, what we’ve observed through first-hand experience (we’ve collaborated with some of these companies in the past, including EPAM and Y Media Labs), and information compiled from reliable external sources. That said, we have of course included ourselves in the list. (If we didn’t think we were one of your very best options, why would we even get up each morning?)
So, without further ado, below is our breakdown — in no particular order — of the best mobile app development companies in the US:
- When: Founded 1993.
- Who: 20,000+ professionals (including consultants). Publicly traded company (NYSE: EPAM). Primary founder Arkadiy Dobkin.
- Where: Headquartered in Newtown, Pennsylvania. International reach and perspective, with experience in more than 25 countries.
- Focus and Experience: Provides services related to software and platform engineering, including product development and strategy, IoT, UX/UI design, analytics, and continuing product development. Focus industries include banking/finance, commerce/travel, media/entertainment, software/hi-tech, healthcare, and life sciences. Works with clients on a project basis or provides professionals to augment clients’ in-house teams. A commitment to engineering remains at the core of their services (they call in their “Engineering DNA”).
- Relationships: Maintains long-term relationships with several of their major clients.
- Representative clients: US Securities and Exchange Commission, Citi, UDR, TUI Group, Stratas Advisors, Children’s Hospital Association, Telefónica, VisiQuate, Screwfix.
- Sample Accolades: Ranked #8 on Forbes’ list of the 25 Fastest Growing Public Tech Companies.
- When: Founded in LA in 2012, but has roots going back to 2008 and the founding of Rus Wizards, Distillery CEO and founder Andrey Kudievskiy’s first software development firm.
- Who: 130+ professionals. Privately owned company. Founder Andrey Kudievskiy.
- Where: Headquartered in Los Angeles (Santa Monica), with four additional offices in Russia. International reach and perspective, with experience in more than 20 countries.
- Focus and Experience: Provides services related to software and platform engineering, including app and web development, product strategy/branding, analytics, UX/UI design, security testing, IoT, and continuing product development. Best-known for mobile app development capabilities (iOS, Android, and web). More than 200+ projects completed, with experience serving more than 300 clients. Experience extends across industries. Works with clients on a project basis or provides developers to augment clients’ in-house teams. Deep commitment to engineering excellence core to service model.
- Relationships: Maintains long-term relationships with tech and C-suite leaders in the LA area and beyond. (Longest ongoing client relationship is nine years in duration!) Many repeat clients.
- Representative clients: CIZO, Syncplicity, Tala, Sixgill, Dell EMC, MarketBridge, Netvest, Axway, Altpoint Ventures, ScoreBig, Intelematics, Circle for Roommates.
- Sample Accolades: Ranked #1365 on the 2017 Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing privately owned companies in the United States.
- When: Founded 2007.
- Who: 160+ professionals. Privately owned company. Founder Rob Meadows.
- Where: Headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York, Orange County, Los Angeles, Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale), and Las Vegas.
- Focus and Experience: Focuses on producing cloud, mobile-first, AI-nativeTM software products. Has launched more than 100 products over the past decade. Per our knowledge, works with clients on a project basis.
- Relationships: Focuses on cultivating strategic, long-term “partnerships” with clients.
- Representative clients: DevaCurl, Asurion, Belkin, New York Knicks, MGM Resorts, Ticketmaster, BlackRock, Angie’s List, Git Town, MileIQ, Replay.io.
- When: Founded 2009.
- Who: 270 professionals. Privately owned company. Founders Ashish Toshniwal and Sumit Mehra.
- Where: Headquartered in San Francisco (Redwood City), with additional offices in Indianapolis, New York, and Atlanta.
- Focus and Experience: Provides services related to brand and product strategy, web app development, mobile development for iOS and Android, web development, UX/UI design, content development, and IoT. Strong focus on mobile development, from native apps to responsive websites. Clientele consists primarily of larger companies (e.g., Fortune 500) and, in the words of Y Media Labs, “a few disruptive startups.”
- Representative clients: PayPal, L’Oréal, The North Face, ebay, Home Depot, KeyBank, Staples, Syncplicity, Nom Nom Paleo, Bouqs, Lonely Planet, Bank of America.
- Sample Accolades: Recognized in 2015 by Forbes as one of “America’s Most Promising Companies.”
- When: Founded 2006.
- Who: Fewer than 10 professionals. Privately owned company. Founder Vasile Tiplea.
- Where: Headquartered in Los Angeles, with additional offices in Dubai, Las Vegas, San Diego, and San Francisco.
- Focus and Experience: Focuses on mobile app (iOS and Android) and website design and development, UX/UI design, and 360-degree product branding. Overall, emphasis is on UX/UI design rather than development. Also offers creative services such as logo design, video production, copywriting, photography, collateral production, and marketing campaigns.
- Relationships: Many repeat clients.
- Representative clients: Samsung, Westfield, BOSE, SONY, BBC, Adidas, Verizon, Screen Actors Guild, Meijer, Speedo, BCBG Max Azria Group.
- Sample Accolades: Selected in 2016 as Best Digital Agency for Innovation and App Design in California by The Corporate America Boardroom Elite.
Ultimately, mobile app design and development projects come in all shapes and sizes. Thus, it makes perfect sense that our list of the top mobile app development companies should be similarly diverse. Some mobile app developers will be a better fit for certain projects and clients, and others for different projects and clients. Accordingly, next time you’re trying to find a home for your next big mobile app idea, the list above is a great place to start as you assess fit. With any of these companies, you can’t go wrong.
Ready to find out if Distillery is the right fit to help you develop your mobile app idea? Let us know!
About the Author
As Distillery’s Director of Business Development, Matt Cowan is passionate about working with clients to address their business needs and achieve their strategic goals. With a diverse background working with companies of all sizes across many industries, he prides himself on his ability to see things from the client’s perspective.