Angular 17, the latest iteration of the popular TypeScript framework, empowers developers to craft performant and accessible web applications. Here you can find some of the new features to build amazing applications.
- Lazy Loading of Components and Modules: Angular 17 intelligently loads components and modules only when they are needed, minimizing initial page load times and boosting overall application responsiveness.
- Improved Change Detection: The change detection mechanism, responsible for tracking and updating UI changes, has been enhanced for better performance, especially in large applications.
- Tree Shaking: Angular 17 employs advanced tree shaking techniques to eliminate unused code from the bundle, resulting in smaller file sizes and faster loading times.
Standalone: a huge approach to component reusability
Angular 17 introduces a revolutionary concept called Standalones, a new type of Angular component that can be used without a module. This paradigm offers developers the option to create highly reusable components that can be easily integrated into any Angular application.
Standalones offer advantages such as
- Simplified Component Creation: Standalones eliminate the need for module creation, simplifying the component creation process and making it more intuitive.
- Enhanced Reusability: Standalones can be easily shared across different projects and applications, promoting code reusability and reducing development time.
- Improved Dependency Injection: Standalones leverage dependency injection to manage dependencies effectively, ensuring loose coupling and maintainable code.
Say goodbye to *ngIf and *ngFor directives!
Angular 17 introduces a new control flow syntax based on observables:
<div *streamIf=”observable$ | async as data; else loading”>
This example utilizes the streamIf directive, a cleaner way to conditionally render a component based on an observable. It waits for the observable to emit a value and stores it in the data variable. While waiting, the loading template is displayed.
Simplified component lifecycle handling
Angular 17 added two new lifecycle hooks. These additions offer finer control over your component lifecycle, improving responsiveness and overall functionality.
- afterRender: Trigger custom processes right after the component’s view is rendered.
- afterNextRender: Schedule tasks for the next render cycle.
As you can see, Angular 17 provides a bunch of empowered tools based on performance to build awesome applications, feel free to explore these new tools and write amazing apps.
Here are some resources to get you started with Angular 17:
- The official Angular v17 blog: https://blog.angular.io/introducing-angular-v17-4d7033312e4b
An insightful YouTube video on Angular 17 features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=denZiiUoHgQ